Re: Napster Business Model

Author:Robert Cassidy
Posted:6/27/2000; 9:14:02 AM
Topic:Napster Business Model

Pasty Cline (or her label) own an independent copyright on that performance, so you are getting something new. Both performers have licensed the rights to perform Crazy (unless one of them was the author). The record labels own both performances and can get you for anything except fair use of those performances (limited snippets for editorial comments and that's about it).

No, if it's *exactly* the same peformance. The latter is the very same recording on a tribute album. It may have been cleaned up, remastered, whatever, but it's the same Patsy in the same point in time singing the same words.

In a by-song world, how do we know which we are getting? If they are virtually identical, am I compelled to pay for both?