Re: Napster / Elvis

Author:Jacob Levy
Posted:6/29/2000; 10:13:39 AM
Topic:Napster / Elvis

You understand. Now how many other people are there, like you and me?

I'm having second thoughts about that, about whether a group of net users stands a chance to break in on any juicy deals. What was HW thinking about when they invested in Napster Inc... Did they really think they were going to win or reach a settlement? My $0.02: Napster is going to get shut down *OR* HW gets it and they are doing what you want to do, find someone who will break rank and come over to the revolutionaries.

The question remains: how are "the moguls" as you call them going to deal with the really-free-and-anonymous stuff like Gnutella and Freenet? Are they going to socially stigmatize it so that only crackers and hackers will want to do this, or what?