Re: Napster / Elvis

Author:Jim Lyon
Posted:6/29/2000; 11:06:15 AM
Topic:Napster / Elvis

How do we make money? To use our servers, you have to pay $30 per month.

Oh ye of little faith! That $30 before one downloads his first song is a major barrier to entry. Instead...

Make it free. Invite all comers. Also, make it trivially easy to tip an artist when one downloads a song. Possibly, get some custom code into MP3 player programs that make it trivially easy to tip an artist when one plays a song.

All tips are voluntary. Encourage people to try out music at no risk; make it easy for them to come back and pay only if they like it.

I bet you make tons more money that way. But it does require a larger leap of faith.