Re: A scriptable streaming MP3 server

Author:Lawrence Lee

I was thinking about this last night and outside of a scriptable MP3 application, I wonder if something based around the .m3u playlist format would work (which is just a text file with different MP3 file entries from the local file system or via. HTTP).

If you had a .m3u file with two entries: the MP3 file to play and a second blank one-second .mp3 file. When the first song finishes playing and then the player requests the second song via HTTP. Then Frontier/Pike can spot the request and create a new .m3u file with the next song along with the dummy request. Then launch the player with the new .m3u file.

Or you could just use Pike to render a regular .m3u file and send that to the player (Winamp, Windows Media Player etc.)