Outline Attributes

Author:Michael Rose
Posted:7/9/2000; 8:38:39 AM
Topic:Outline Attributes

Thanks for opening this XML format to discussion.

I'm curious about why text is an attribute. I've begun Simon St. Laurent and E. Cerami's book "Building XML Applications". On page 69 they discuss the apparently sensitive Attribute vs. Property question. Their summary - attributes are more concise, subelements can nest and hold more complex information, and the choice is often personal.

If outlines are to be strictly a writing tool then I understand the choice. If we want to do more complex things with outlines, like playlists or RSS, subelements might give more flexibility and be more appropriate.