Re: recognizing a vision? sketchbooks

Author:Phil Wolff
Posted:7/10/2000; 5:56:03 AM
Topic:How do you know a vision when it hits you?

Two ideas:

Old research into creativity: most people come up with roughly the same proportion of bad ideas from good ideas. For discussion's sake, let's say 50%. But over time, most people incorporate so much negative feedback their output of new ideas falls. But not their goo/bad rate. Lessons: stay free thinking, tolerate your own failures and those of others, fail creatively early and often.

About 25 years' ago, the owner of a carnival that migrated around California shared a little wisdom. This rough, hard man told me to always carry a little notepad with me, don't leave home without it. To write everything down. You remember very little, he told me, and this little pad becomes a part of your memory that you can review, especially every time you complete a pad. It's also the place to resolve disputes about what people tell you and what you promise others. He'd have loved the Palm Pilot's find feature. Lessons: Capture everything; review your memory.