Re: Frontier, IIS, and Lotus Notes

Author:Brent Simmons
Posted:7/15/2000; 3:59:32 PM
Topic:Frontier, IIS, and Lotus Notes

I guess my question is how to get Frontier to "preprocess" the request and determine if it is something that Frontier is to process (dynamic or static pages) or something that I should allow IIS to process. Secondly, if Frontier is not to process the page, how do I send it back to IIS ?

In theory, it's a solvable problem.

You'd need an ISAPI Filter DLL that decides whether or not Frontier handles the request. This DLL would actually make a COM call to Frontier, Frontier would run a script, and return true or false. If true -- meaning Frontier wants the page -- then the Filter DLL would re-write the URL so that it would be handled by the iisfrontier DLL that we make available.

The tricky part is you've got to actually write an ISAPI Filter DLL. This means you're in C++ land, working in Visual Studio, actually writing this code.

On the plus side, you can get source code from us that has all the basic elements you'd need -- our source has examples of ISAPI Filters, and it shows how to connect to Frontier via COM from IIS.

http://samples.userland.com/stories/storyReader$99

Another approach would be to devise a set of rules and stick with them. The nice thing about having Frontier pre-process requests is that it would be easy to change the rules. However, you lose some efficiency that way, having to send that COM request and run a script for every single request. It might be better to formalize your rules and code them in C++ to begin with. Also, in some ways you'd have an *easier* to maintain system, since the rules would be less dynamic.