Re: Automatic Music Delivery

Author:Dan Shappir
Posted:7/16/2000; 5:37:19 AM
Topic:Automatic Music Delivery

Since I’m merely a developer, rather than, say, VP of BD, I had little say over the choice of partner for this project. Also, while I agree that RealJukebox is, ah… less than ideal software (am I allowed to say this now that we are partners?) they do have some things going for them:

  1. Aside from Microsoft (and now maybe Napster) they are the 800lb gorilla of online music.
  2. They have large distribution channels and were willing to bundle our software with theirs.
  3. They have lots of exposure.
  4. They put their money where their mouth is by investing ~$1.3M in BackWeb.

As for the 2 song limitation: one of the reasons this project is still in beta (and has little advertisement) is that the pipelines are still being put in place to support the amount of bandwidth required. Do the math: 5Mb per song x 2 songs a week x 10M users.

Dan