Japanese patents

Author:Tom von Alten
Posted:7/16/2000; 11:45:28 AM
Topic:Japanese patents

It would be wise for Japan to adopt a patent system that is substantially different from that of the US and Europe..."
(from Dave's report on NHK's interview)

We already have three systems - US, European and Japan. The differences are significant, but maybe not in the desired ways.

One important difference is that Japan's system is based on "first to file," unlike the US system's "first to invent." If I invent something nifty in the US and go over to Japan and tell my buddies about it, they can run down to their patent office and patent my invention. I am SOL in Japan.

The chances of useful reform in the US system seem to me to be vastly greater than for the Japanese system. I'd guess some bureaucrats are thinking about (at least) rationalization of the three systems, but I don't know any details. A hard problem.