Java vs MS Common Runtime

Author:Timothy O'Hear
Posted:7/24/2000; 3:20:19 PM
Topic:Java vs MS Common Runtime

Just finished reading the MS PDC docs covering the MS virtual engine strategy (http://commnet.pdc.mscorpevents.com/). That plus today's "Java no longer WORA" note leaves me wondering which horse to bet on in the the upcoming virtual engine wars.

- what's the chance of MS's runtime being available on other platforms. Mac? Linux? - Or third parties writing compatible runtimes? - Can Sun eventually succeed in delivering a platform that runs reliably on a variety of systems? - Is C++ (with home-rolled system class wrappers) still the only way to write code that's truly portable?

I really wish I could focus on a language + API and code without having to worry about the politics back-firing down the road (I'm still pretty traumatised by the OpenDoc massacre).

Any opinions/speculation welcome.

-- tim