New Generation?

Author:Keola Donaghy
Posted:7/24/2000; 8:40:16 PM
Topic:New Generation?

We have a generation of computer jockeys that we've raised on Napster and MP3 who have gotten the idea, the mistaken idea, that everything in the store is free," King said. "And I'd like to see if we can't reeducate these people to the idea that the fruits of talent cost you money." Grrrr.

Dave, this is pretty darn accurate, from what I've seen. I found my son (just graduated high school) carrying a bunch of burned CDs around a few weeks ago, and asked him what was on them. He said music sountracks from some movies. Asked him where he got them; he said he bought them from some friends at school - $3 a piece. I almost lost it, but sat down and talked with him calmly about it.

After twenty minutes of intelligent discussion I still could not get through to him why this was not only illegal, but immoral. I talked about all of his uncles and my friends who made money making music and selling CDs. Nothing but a glazed look on his face. Finally I found the ticket:

My son is a budding artist, and wants to draw comic books for a living. I asked him how he'd feel if only one child at every school bought a copy of his comic book, and then made Xerox copies for everyone else at the school who wanted them. The glazed look disappeared and there appeared to be some glimmer of understanding of the situation.

I talked to other parents and teachers at the school, no one else seemed to think it was a big deal except one parent whose brother is one of the top recording artists and producers in Hawai'i.

When I was 18 I wanted everything and I wanted it yesterday, but I was willing to work for it. What I see in my son and his friends is "I want it all, I want it last week and I want it free." It's a creepy feeling.

Aloha,

keola