Re: More than just radio

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:7/28/2000; 8:39:25 AM
Topic:More than just radio

Outlining is basic stuff, and there's no competition. We're walking into a vacuum. It's as if there were no spreadsheet. Yeah, the waiting is almost over. I hope we find a way to make money with this, people are so unwilling to pay for software. Remember, if you like it, and spread the word (with our thanks) tell people that we're being trusting and generous, and at some point we will ask for money (not like Stephen King did, no 75 percent rules, what a bummer) but ultimately we're going to have to make it pay for itself or we won't be able to move it where people want us to go.

This is my time to give this speech, later people will feel like users, and they'll want features and think we're getting rich, when we're barely making payroll.

So I'm glad that the music industry has brought money into the discussion. The open source hype really destroyed the economy of software. Now perhaps we can rebuild it, based on reality. There really is a joy to spending money on things you love. Please be open to sharing that with us if you like our software. Thanks!