Re: Napoli on Napster

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:7/31/2000; 10:24:44 AM
Topic:Napoli on Napster

OK, following your logic, if I want to listen to a new Metallica album there's no need for me to pay for it, because they funded the development of the album with millions of dollars in profit from previous albums. They get the right to be artists, and that's all the compensation they're due.

Eventually it gets pretty old, the rush you get from new technology is taken over by the feeling of "I'm a total chump." I can tell you that Frontier users in 1998 made me feel like a chump. I wanted to slap them, to wake them up, snap out of your trance, look at all that you got for free. How long did they think it could last?

I had to write checks for $50,000 every month Brad. Even with the profits from my LVT stock, that wasn't going to go on forever.