But who do you pay?

Author:Cameron Smith
Posted:8/3/2000; 4:02:14 PM
Topic:Needlepoint Copying

Set up a system where people make something like an escrow deposit, like $50, that is immediately charged to their credit card.

Then, at any future date they can stop by the site make a micropurchase. Maybe a single MP3 is $1, but you can get 6 for $5.

That's fine if you know who to pay. But the files today contain no information that tells you who or how or how much to pay. These files -- be they needlepoint patterns or MP3s or videos, or whatever -- need to carry with them easily displayed information about authorship and payment.

I just posted a message in the Radio Userland discussion group about this, suggesting that extensions to existing file formats -- or whole new file formats -- need to be developed to carry this metacontent.

If I knew how to get in touch with the Monty Python crew and pay them for the copy of "Erric the Half a Bee" that I downloaded, I'd be quite happy to send off nickel or a dime. But I don't know how to do that.

What you're suggesting sounds like the copyright clearing houses that exist for the purpose of collecting and distributing royalty fees from the use of photocopiers. But even then, do these firms not need to know the name and publisher of the original work that was photocopied?