Re: A History of "Open Source"

Author:Dennis Peterson
Posted:8/20/2000; 2:43:11 AM
Topic:A History of "Open Source"

To quote Eric, "I've only told a tiny piece of a very big story...if you want to take up the story from here, please use the space below." In other words, instead of complaining about how his post isn't objective or balanced, how about telling us who Tanenbaum is, and so on. (All I know is, he had a big debate with Linus over the best way to write a kernel. Whether or not he was right, Linus's kernel has had a much bigger historical impact.)

It's all well and good to expound on how hard it is to do history, but if we're not going to just ignore the whole subject we have to come up with something. And it would be hard to argue that the people Eric mentioned didn't have an awfully significant impact.