Re: A quick & dirty draft

Author:Matthew Barger
Posted:8/23/2000; 12:11:58 PM
Topic:Next survey: Are you an open source developer?

Eric-

These choices are still a little bit complex. How could we simplify them?

You're definitely on the right track with this. I don't think you can simplify this anymore to reach the dataset that, I'm guessing, you and Dave are looking for.

One important caveat: If you own patents on your software, please answer no.

Here's where I think the survey will break down. What choice equals No? I haven't released any software. That's going to corrupt your dataset. What if you took your 4 choices, which were well worded, and made two identical surveys, one for developers with patents and the other for developers without. Sorry Dave, I'm not trying to overstep my bounds, but it's hard to give advice and not talk about the actual implementation of the survey. One can only divorce form (survey structure) and content (questions) to a small point in my opinion.

And what about web apps? Since web apps aren't released in the same distribution method as regular software, what would I answer? Or are web app developers not a target audience for this survey?