Re: A quick & dirty draft

Author:Robert Palmer Jr
Posted:8/23/2000; 2:58:52 PM
Topic:Next survey: Are you an open source developer?

I picked some of this of from the "Are you an open source developer" DaveNet, so I'm just comming in in the middle.

I believe that OpenSource is great and fine, but I also feel as a developer that I should be able to write and sell my software for a fee. I enjoy recognition, but I also would like to make money. As a single individual, I can't do that (make money) by providing support - at least not what I would consider good support. I think the best way to actually make a profit is to sell the software (be it as a "boxed" product, one time fee, or subscription, or whatever).

I'm a dreamer and idealistic most of the time, but I'm being realistic here. I have a wife and two kids - I have to support them. Currently I work for someone else. I would love to work for myself, but that won't happen if all the software I release is released as open source.

Linus Torvalds is an exception at the moment. He released Linux as open source, he doesn't make his money off the software, he makes it from is noteriety - speaking, books, etc. (hmm, books, should they be open source too?). However, not every software developer can become a "field expert" like Linus. Not every software developer can become so well know and/or wanted that they can make a living traveling and giving speaches.