Patents and no-cost software

Author:Mark A. Hershberger
Posted:8/23/2000; 3:25:14 PM
Topic:Next survey: Are you an open source developer?

To date, the only patent that I'm aware of that has impacted significant shareware applications is the Unisys GIF/LZW issue.

You may not mean to, but I'm going to assume that you include "Open Source" or Free Software in the word "shareware". (A big leap, I know, but hang on.)

I bring this up because if you read the section on the OggVorbis FAQ titled Why Vorbis? MP3 is open, you will find that MP3 encoders are patent encumbered. Vorbis was concieved to overcome this flaw.