Re: Patents and no-cost software

Author:Will Iverson
Posted:8/23/2000; 4:19:09 PM
Topic:Next survey: Are you an open source developer?

You may not mean to, but I'm going to assume that you include "Open Source" or Free Software in the word "shareware". (A big leap, I know, but hang on.)

Actually, that was a total brain misfire on my part. I more or less meant all software, commercial, shareware, open source, whatever. The crossed circuit in my head was I remembered getting all sorts of email from shareware people complaining about it, even though I know everyone either routed around (painfully, nee PNG) or had to cough up.

MP3 & Vorbis sound like a similar issue to GIF & PNG. This is the first I've heard of it (ok, meaningless... ;). Looking at their site, it looks like Vorbis requires you to certify with them to claim compatibility. So, what do I say my app supports if I don't certify? Is it really open source to say that?

The bit about MP3 encoding is interesting, however. Is this a GIF problem in the making?

Hmm.

-Will