Re: Making money

Author:Mark A. Hershberger
Posted:8/23/2000; 3:47:28 PM
Topic:Next survey: Are you an open source developer?

Creativity should always be rewarded, and to attempt to destroy people's livelihoods is spiteful and unethical.

Brett, I've been whatching your comments in this whole thread, so it is with some trepidation that I reply.

I'd like you to clarify why you should have some control over the software that I develop. Why should I give you the right to make proprietary versions of my software if I don't want anyone to have that right? Why is it wrong for me to want the source for software that I wrote to remain freely availible?

I don't ask proprietary developers to release their code -- I have no right to do that. It seems right to me, then, that you have no right to tell other people that it is unethical for them to GPL their software -- it is their software, after all, and they should be allowed to do as they please with it.

I could understand your complaint if you were talking about the GPL on a small library contaiminating your larger program, but if you add relatively minor enhancements to a larger program, I don't think you have much right to complain.

Mark.