Now you say I can't give to charity?

Author:Aaron Swartz
Posted:8/23/2000; 6:46:49 PM
Topic:Next survey: Are you an open source developer?

This is going to far -- you are now saying it's wrong for me to give to charity! You say that if I do some work (programming) and create a (software) product, it's wrong of me to give that product away so that other people can use it? Why? Because it drops the value of your work to zero.

I'm sorry, but this is called competition, and is the cornerstone of our economy (which you are trying so hard to uphold). If someone else does what you do for free, you're going to have to learn to live with it -- that's how competition works.

First you cry "unfair!" because you are unable to compete with others. Then you make this into a personal attack against Stallman and his ethics. Now you say that it's immoral of me to give to charity. This has gone too far.