Re: A quick & dirty draft

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/23/2000; 6:48:11 PM
Topic:Next survey: Are you an open source developer?

Rich, I think you did a great job of cutting through the mostly irrelevant arguments. Let's get real. If I give you the source code, no matter what the license agreement says, you can do anything you want with it.

This is the in-your-face reality. No one needed to have open source agreements for web pages. Why bother? I know you can view source. So can I. No secret remains undiscoverable. It's open source. Totally.

I am reminded of a teacher, who starting a class discussion, said "When I ask you a question, you can either choose not to answer, tell the truth, or lie."

I puzzled over that for hours. What kind of class is this where you have permission to lie.

Then I realized what the teacher was saying. It was so true, that it's funny I didn't get it at first.

Just to prove that I have a twinkle in my eye, I'm not going to explain, and leave it as an exercise for the reader.