MDI is rather cool.

Author:William Crim
Posted:8/24/2000; 3:01:27 PM
Topic:MDI is rather cool.

I wish other platforms had MDI. I use Opera as my main browser specifically because it has MDI. I can open all the CNN stories I want to read, minimize them, and read them later without thrashing my task bar. X and MacOS really need to create something like it. It might be a hack, but who gives a rip. I won't necessarily need my Word Processor as an MDI, but it is damn nice for the web.

I assume you are going to embed IE in RU? I heard a long time ago about a Gecko COM object that included the same interfaces of the IE COM object. I'll see if I can find the link...

P.S. The Plan 9 OS has an interesting way of providing similar functionality. Each window is actually a tiny executable that creates a drawable area.(Including the parent Full screen) You can have the parent window app call other window apps and draw themselves inside the parent window, rather than to the screen. ta da, recursive windows.