Re: The GPL discriminates with malice aforethought

Author:Andrew Duncan
Posted:8/24/2000; 4:59:29 PM
Topic:Next survey: Are you an open source developer?

Where *is* Richard Stallman in this? I'm not saying Brett is right or wrong in his assertions, but it would be helpful to get a response from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Does anyone know him well enough to invite him in? OTOH, Stallman may feel he has said it all before elsewhere.

How exactly does Stallman differentiate between "proprietary" and "commercial"? According to the OED, proprietary connotes "privately owned" and possibly patented, but not necessarily that the right to use (the property) is traded for money. "Commerce" however connotes buying and selling, profit and so on. Excuse me for being pedantic! :o)