Re: Something *not* to like about Frontier

Author:Andrew Duncan
Posted:8/24/2000; 6:58:57 PM
Topic:Something *not* to like about Frontier

Dave: evidence of dishonesty or a conflict of interest

I'm certainly not suggesting dishonesty, I don't think there is any evidence of it, and in fact I think you are an honest person, period. If anything you've become more honest over the time I've known you, especially recently, and that's a good thing from several points of view. In saying this I'm not sucking up or backtracking, just pointing out that honesty wasn't on my mind in asking the question.

As to conflict of interest, I don't think that's the case either. Maybe lack of interest would be closer to the mark? All I know for sure is that the bug has existed for a long time, it's been drawn to your attention many times (along with a number of others of various kinds) and yet the bug remains.

I started thinking about this when I read one of Joel Spolsky's pieces, where he talked about fixing existing bugs before adding new features. So, when you started down the Radio Userland path, I was thinking "Arrgh, RU is a distraction, why don't they fix the bugs in Frontier first? Why should RU inherit known bugs from Frontier?" And so on...

At first I wasn't too interested in RU, Pike seemed to do everything I needed wrt editing Manila sites, but I've had to modify my position since then -- RU is a *much* better environment for editing Manila sites than Pike, especially since yesterday's root updates. So my hat's off to you for seeing where RU could take us, and to Brent for implementing it.

However, perhaps you can see where I'm coming from -- I have a bunch of Manila sites hosted on an NZ$2000 server that goes deaf periodically, and I need those kinds of things fixed more than I need MP3 playlists or a nifty way to edit sites in an outline.

Update: I wrote this before I read this message...

Here's the problem. Doug quit. :o) That's certainly a bummer, and I remember now that it was Doug who did that stuff.

...on my list. I'm getting impatient too which changes my perspective and gives me some cause for hope.