Re: No thrones or monarchs, thank you

Author:Mark A. Hershberger
Posted:8/25/2000; 12:54:07 PM
Topic:A softer GPL?

"this license meets this clear and unambiguous set of ethical standards." I think that's reasonable, don't you?

Yep. No problem with that.

However, the way you go on and on and on about the GPL and rms (and practically nothing else) makes me wonder about what your real concerns are. If it were ethics, then I would expect that you would be concerned about a myriad of other ethical issues besides the GPL.

Your obsession belies your intent.

As others have noted, you desire to profit from other people's creativity. The GPL and rms get in your way to take advantage of others and you complain. You've shown who you are repeatedly by blowing smoke and mirrors about how it is "unethical" to deprive you of you "right" to take advantage of other people's creativity without compensating them.

If others intend for you to be able to build upon their creativity without their permission, they will give you that right. If they do not give it to you, you have absolutly no reason to call them unethical.

I hope this is not taken as a flame. I'm not trying to flame, but I am trying to point out what your motives appear to be.

Mark.