Test case

Author:Brett Glass
Posted:8/25/2000; 2:36:01 PM
Topic:A softer GPL?

I would love to fight the GPL in court, because I honestly believe that it is not enforceable. But justice, like GPLed software, is not really free. The FSF, by misrepresenting itself as a charity, has amassed a huge legal war chest. This financial disadvantage, not to mention the hardship that could be caused by discovery (I really wouldn't like my computers to be ransacked and my life disrupted), naturally makes me disinclined to pursue a test case unless I have serious financial backing. I'd be delighted to do it if the SIA, the BSA, and/or the EFF would help to finance the case. (The EFF should be interested in doing so, since it claims to advocate freedom. However, since Cygnus founder John Gilmore is a member of its board of directors, it probably would not.)

--Brett Glass