Re: Not fair.

Author:Ken MacLeod
Posted:8/25/2000; 2:57:30 PM
Topic:A softer GPL?

Not really. People have already made millions off software of which I've written parts of. I've made and continue to make enough money from my free software to incent me to make sure that all the software I write, and have control over writing, is free software (whether TrulyFree, OpenSource, or Free Software, I've released under them all for various reasons).

It's clear that I disagree with your premise that GPL'd software causes more economic harm to society than otherly licensed freely redistributable software. Because of that, I will still choose to license some of my software under the conditions that any public derivatives also be freely redistributable. I can't articulate why I sometimes choose a TrulyFree license and why sometimes I choose GPL, but I surely don't believe it unethical or immoral to choose the latter.