Logic

Author:Brett Glass
Posted:8/25/2000; 4:55:40 PM
Topic:Next survey: Are you an open source developer?

It is funny how I never felt predated by Open Source software.

Perhaps that's because the GPL hasn't invaded the product area in which you work.

After I stopped working for Dave at Living Videotext a long time ago, I studied to be a compiler writer. I graduated, only to discover that a newly formed company called Cygnus Software was planning to wipe out the entire market by putting a lot of work into a project called GCC. After being told by one of the founders of Cygnus that I was "evil" for wanting to profit from my work, and seeing that GCC was indeed starting to decimate the market, I branched out into other areas from hardware design to journalism. But I never had much of a chance to do what I really loved and wanted to do.

When the GPL invades your market segment, you may find yourself in the same boat.

--Brett Glass