Re: About Audio Fingerprinting...

Author:Ravi Nanavati
Posted:8/25/2000; 10:11:50 PM
Topic:About Audio Fingerprinting...

Actually, I don't think audio fingerprinting helps the RIAA that much. Granted, it makes it easier for them to track down their content and put a stop to uses they don't like, but...

The more they regulate the use of their content, the less it is worth to me. And if they were seriously thinking about the economic issues they'd realize that things like my.mp3.com and Napster influence the marginal consumer (which is what is directly connected to the price they can charge). That is, it might tip me over from not-buying to buying if I know that once I've bought a CD I can to listen to it anywhere I have an Internet connection and speakers. And, if I'm not sure if I want to buy a CD, sampling a few of the tracks on Napster will make it more likely I'm satisfied with the CD purchases I do make, increasing the price I am willing to pay for those CDs.

Watermarks are much better for them than audio fingerprinting because it opens up the possibility of price discrimination: charging people who value the music a great deal (so want to listen to it in the car, keep a copy on their computer, etc.) more and people who just want to listen to it once in a while less. Unfortunately for them, the way I understand it, the same kind of research that leads to audio fingerprinting (figuring out the essential parts of an audio signal that will not change as you recode it) is also the research that teaches people how to strip watermarks.