Re: ESR and Apple's irrelevance

Author:Scott Hanson
Posted:8/25/2000; 10:45:51 PM
Topic:ESR and Apple's irrelevance

but until I can send my Grandma a Linux box and she can get the machine up and running by herself then Apple and Microsoft only have to fear losing technically oriented users and perhaps

Can your Grandma really get a Windows machine up and running by herself? From scratch? Then good for her! I doubt if most Windows users could.

A couple anecdotes from my workplace, a software company that is split 50:50 between geeks and suits, Linux and Windows. With half the boxes, the Windows PCs cause 80-90% of the problems for the PC admins.

Our departmental secretary started using Linux when she started with us a year ago, and required no special training. (But we cheat. We use Winframe to log on to an NT machine for Notes clients, Word and Excel.)

Our Sun administrator who shares an office with me has literally no Windows experience. When she needs to use Windows for test purposes, she has literally no idea what to do or how to use the interface. (Of course, it doesn't help that she has a bad attitude towards Microsoft to begin with, but it's still fun to watch.)