Causation

Author:Brett Glass
Posted:8/27/2000; 3:26:37 PM
Topic:Next survey: Are you an open source developer?

Other market segments have been devastated, gone, or subsumed into others, and open source had nothing to do with it. This is the flaw in Brett's reasoning, he assumes a cause and effect that may not be there in compilers and editors.

Dave, of course other markets have disappeared for other reasons. I certainly never said that every time a market segment was devastated it was due to the GPL. But in the case of compilers, it was -- and the compiler vendors will tell you so.

--Brett Glass

P.S. -- By the way, I hate to beat on the same drum again, but it's important -- the GPL isn't open source. It does not conform to the Open Source Definition, and plainly isn't open to developers. Licenses which do conform to that definition are not as harmful.