Re: Judaism, Fiddler on the Roof, and Humanity

Author:Brett Glass
Posted:8/27/2000; 3:37:19 PM
Topic:Judaism, Fiddler on the Roof, and Humanity

But on the oooother hand....

Yes, it's a wonderful musical. A few years ago, I did the entire 3-hour score of Fiddler on the Roof in MIDI for the local community theater group. A full 32-piece electronic orchestra -- folks thought we'd recorded one. And then took the publicity pictures. And then gave the entire cast (nearly all of whom were Christian) several hours of "cultchuh" lessons, complete with information on diction, religion, ritual, history, superstition, and much more. And then took a part in the play (and in the chorus) to boot.

It took all of my spare time that summer, plus some time I stole from other things. But it was worth it. It's a great piece of work, based on a whole bunch of other great pieces of work.

--Brett Glass