Re: Fucking Daft

Author:Joshua Allen

I just think we need to seperate what we're actually addressing. One is a basic way to build a community and the other is exploitation.

Agreed. Community activities are great fun. Remember the old pioneer spirit of barn raising? The gripe I have is when you have a bunch of pentecostal revivalists going from town to town exhorting people to join barn raising parties in order to prevent the barn construction companies from making money. And they even sell books about "how to run a barn-raising party" and "impressing your friends an neighbors with barn-raising". Anybody that tells you that patio-building parties are a viable way to meet the patio needs of the economy is a liar.

And if someone ever conciously did that then I think they'd have to address some self esteem issues before they dealt with the issue of selling themselves cheap.

You don't need to be aware that you're selling yourself cheap to be selling yourself cheap, though. Approval, admiration, and community are the basic currency used by hucksters and cult leaders to attract and ensnare converts. Community is nice, but choose your church carefuly.

[BTW, always be a bit suspicious of anyone offering services for free. How do you know the guys helping your dad with the patio aren't just trying to get closer to your mom? OK, I know -- tasteless, but I couldn't resist...]