Re: Rock and Roll - On open source

Author:David Brown
Posted:8/29/2000; 10:52:18 AM
Topic:Rock and Roll - On open source

But if they just clone our software, it's not meaningful, because there will be a key process that they have not come up with, the process of invention, which imho is not well understood or respected in the open source world.

This has bugged me for a while, and it really bugged me when I saw ZopeFish going down the road to trying to clone Manila. I didn't want to just clone something.

And I saw it again with Gnome. When I saw them talk about their "Outlook Killer," I was excited to see what new idea they'd come up with. And the first screenshots... ...looked just like Outlook.

Argh.

I wanna see some thing TRULY new.

dave