Re: Rock and Roll - On open source

Author:Brent Simmons
Posted:8/29/2000; 10:55:03 AM
Topic:Rock and Roll - On open source

Do I want a middleman between me an the person who is paying? No.

My personal experience is very different. Perhaps it depends on the team, the employer, the software you're working on. But with UserLand my opinion is that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Perhaps I could get the same effect from working on an Open Source team -- but I don't need to get a day job.

Do I get to just do whatever I want at all times, no matter how irrelevant? No, of course not. But that's a function of working on a team, no matter what the economics is. Even were I just working alone, I'd still have users (one hopes) who would be asking for certain things and not others. There's always a team of some kind, unless you're just making software for yourself.