Re: Judaism, Fiddler on the Roof, and Humanity

Author:Phil Wolff
Posted:8/29/2000; 12:54:56 PM
Topic:Judaism, Fiddler on the Roof, and Humanity

Jewish law, halacha, is very big on property rights. The first topic a talmud student usually learns is the law of lost things, baba metzia. It takes general cases (you find something on the street) and then qualifies them further and further, so you come to understand a great deal about the legal nuance of what is property and what isn't and what is ownership and what isn't.

Now this was all pre-Internet, maybe even pre-Gutenberg, so not necessarily useful. But I'd like to find out what Torah scholars have had to say about intellectual property. Lots of Jewish law parallels the subjects addressed in the Uniform Commercial Code, the widely used collection of US business laws. I'd be surprised if there wasn't some mention that we can build on.

- phil