Re: RMS annoys developers, but ESR influences businesses

Author:Joshua Allen

I'm not denying RMS's talent as a programmer, nor his efforts to build a free-software movement among programmers.

Just a nit, rms wrote a vt-based text editor that still takes days to learn to use. He is good at inspiring cult-like devotion, but I wouldn't point to emacs as a shining example of software success. Apache wasn't successful until IBM dedicated a team of paid, full-time programmers to it, so I hardly think that is a shining example of volunteer programming success. I sure as heck wouldn't give rms credit for Linux or Apache.

Agreed esr is more crdible to the 'suits'.