Re: RMS annoys developers, but ESR influences businesses

Author:Geoff Allen

Just a nit, rms wrote a vt-based text editor that still takes days to learn to use. He is good at inspiring cult-like devotion, but I wouldn't point to emacs as a shining example of software success.

And I wouldn't declare RMS to be the greatest programmer in the world, either. (He's certainly better than I am -- I'm not flaming here.) XEmacs forked off from Emacs over some technical issues (with some heated philosiphical issues thrown in for good measure). For a description, check out http://www.xemacs.org/About/XEmacsVsGNUemacs.html and questions 1.0.4 and 1.0.5 in the XEmacs FAQ (http://www.xemacs.org/faq/xemacs-faq.html#SEC7).