Re: Are XML Namespaces difficult for users?

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/30/2000; 7:49:50 AM
Topic:cam?

I think I answered that question from my pov in the other thread.

I think your trichotomy shows the point of view that you're not considering.

At some organizations they're called Content Engineers. That's who I'm focused on. That's the user in this space. If we're designing a spec for them, which is what I want to do, then any complexity that interferes with them doing their job is something to bang at repeatedly until it goes away. It's like designing a text editor and finding out where people lose their way, and hacking at the complexity until you find a way to get them what they want.

BTW, calling the O'Reilly spec "RSS 1.0p" is not OK with me. We're going to need to come up with a different name for it if you want to discuss it here. Elsewhere you can do what you want. But I'm pretty sure we're going to do our own RSS 1.0 spec. They never should have called their spec that, it's the most disrespectful thing I've ever seen in the software business. Even Apple, when they superceded our work in IAC and system-level scripting had the good sense to give their proposals different names, to give our ideas whatever slim chance they may have had for catching on. O'Reilly is a big company pushing around a small company, using our hard work to create an impression that they are leading this activity. These things often become defacto facts, because of the size and fame of O'Reilly, but in this space, no such disrespect is allowed.