Are XML Namespaces difficult for users?

Author:Ken MacLeod
Posted:8/30/2000; 7:34:32 AM
Topic:cam?

In the other thread, Re: XML Namespaces difficulty, we're talking about how XML Namespace tools are supposed to support XML Namespaces, not really (I think) about how users are supposed to use namespaces or the tools. Kinda like talking about how to design cars, not drive them.

Rereading my original question it's obvious that this wasn't clear. I can clarify by saying that I see three different sets of people who might have difficulty with XML Namespaces, but whatever difficulty is different for each:

If there's a direction I'm trying to lead, I know that there are highly (and unnecessarily?) complex examples of XML Namespace usage (SOAP, XML Schema). But XML Namespaces can be used in a sane, simple, manner (RSS1.0p).

I'm mostly interested in why people believe that simple usage of XML Namespaces is difficult. The answer might well be the lingering fear that one might have to become a namespace-guru at some point in time to continue forward.