Technical Conferences

Author:Geoff Allen

Dave asks for:

A show where there are 20 new ideas, and when it's over you can't wait for the next one. Can there really be no exciting shows like that? ... I don't think there are any technology conferences. I see lots of airbag conferences. And pyramid scheme conferences.

It depends on what you're looking for, I guess.

The conference I usually attend is LISA which is a conference by and for system administrators. It's entirely technical, with no fluff. (Well, sometimes the keynote is fluff, but that's expected.) It's just 1500 or so system administrators (mostly Unix, some NT/Win2k) sharing what works, what doesn't, new ideas, new tools, etc.

Technical conferences are out there, but I suspect the good ones are rather focused, like LISA, or even like MacWorld was in the 80s.