Re: Technical Conferences

Author:Micah Alpern

I attended MacHack for the first time this year and had a wonderful time. Very high energy, no marketing, little name calling, just geeks taking, teaching each other, hanging out, showing off, and having fun. I'm definatly going again next yet.

Dave, didn't you keynote there a few years ago?

This years keynote was given by Eric Raymond. He tried to give his stock speech on why unix/open source is the one true way to build software and ran into major resistance. He has asked people in the audiance to speak up if they had any questions of issues and people did, constantly. At times the conversation became quite heated with Mac Developers trying to stess the importance of a good, easy to use interface and user center designs. To his credit Eric took it all in stride, did not try to talk over other peoples complaints but argue back point for point. The keynote/group discussion lasted over 6 hours from midnight to six am and was very interesting/enjoyable. I've never been to any other event of it's kind.

For more information on the event see the coverage in Tidbits.