Re: The Lie of "IP"

Author:Rick McDonald
Posted:8/31/2000; 10:54:21 AM
Topic:The Lie of "IP"

What bothers me about this "doomed" scenario is the film industry. My own techie career started on the periphery of this industry and many of my friends are in the industry. You mentioned the two easiest industries to survive in a no IP world, the film industry is much more difficult to see in that world.

A feature film takes a minimum of twenty or thirty people and often involves hundreds and occassionally thousands. The script can be performed on stage, but that is not the same as a film nor does it involve the same talent and people behind the sceen. Money does need to flow back to that talent.

That being said, I don't necessarily agree with your analysis of music and software. Not all musicians want to perform, and I don't think they should have to play to earn money. Some electronic music can't really be performed as it is programmed bits and. Also, truly great software wouldn't need support.

I still side with Napster and I also believe it should be legal for people to copy anything they pay for, like DVD's, especially when copying is necessary for viewing on Linux machines. I also hope that the web changes the model so that the talent that creates an artwork (I will include sw as art.) receives a larger portion or even the entire portion of the revenue created from the work. Nonetheless, I think a world of free information with great software, art, music and film is a pipe dream unless we expect even more artists to be the stereotypical "starving artist."