Re: The Lie of "IP"

Author:Geoff Allen
Posted:8/31/2000; 11:29:55 AM
Topic:The Lie of "IP"

The case of the software writer is a little more complex. Firstly, because the vast majority of your peers are already doing the "service" thing and have done so since the dawn of computing. Most programmers do NOT sell their code - they work at banks, or insurence companies, or manufacturing companies, and so on, writing code to solve problems. For these people (who share code as a matter of course) the concept of selling code is completely alien, and the industry practice of selling licences or "seats" is viewed as intrinsically evil and a transient abarration.

This is pretty much what I was talking about in my article on Community.

As a system administrator, I'm paid to make things work for my employer. That may involve searching out how others have made things work. It may also involve writing something. If I write something of (potentially) general interest, I share it with others.

And Unix-based license management sucks. Pure and simple. It's maybe even worse than "copy protection" was in the micro world. And it hasn't gone away yet.