[Duplicate Post]

Author:Dan Mitchell
Posted:8/31/2000; 1:50:27 PM
Topic:Mac OS X and Frontier

I agree that the fact that Frontier/Manila runs on Macs should be seen as an asset by Apple. I suspect that there are those at Apple (in addition to the many Apple users not officially part of the company) who do know about and respect Userland's contributions here.

Clearly, Apple focused attention away from the ability of the Mac (at least under OS 9) to act as a server platform - despite the fact that there are quite a few of us who use it effectively just that way. I suspect that it has been a question of marketing focus.

Perhaps with the advent of OSX and with the more recent (and continuing) success of the Mac platform Apple will broaden their focus.

I'm an education user of Frontier/Manila and I have to say the the tools are extremely powerful in this environment - the main problem I've had is getting people to look beyond their limited view of how the web works to adopt a more forward-thinking view that understands the power of Frontier/Manila.

I don't think this is an Apple-related problem at all - the same issue arises when I try to evangelize Windows users at my college. For many new users the initial conceptual leaps required to "get" Frontier/Manila are too great. I don't necessarily fault the product for this; it is just that the concept appears so much different from the "make page and upload" process that they have gotten used to.

I'd love to be able to demo Manila for education users - perhaps at a conference where a roomful of people could experience the ease with which they can set up and manage their Manila sites.

Dan