Re: Methods of Compensation for Ethereal Creations

Author:Jeff Kandt
Posted:9/2/2000; 6:50:52 PM
Topic:The Lie of "IP"

William Crim: Since non-physical items can be duplicated at essentially no cost once they are released, future producers of Ethereal Creations(Intellectual Property) have several choices of compensation...

I recently discovered an excellent essay on "Mass Market Busking" which appears to be a hybrid of your #2 (tipping) and #4 (patronage).

The idea is that by giving even modest amounts of money to the creators of products you value, you are influencing the market toward producing products you value. This would work both at the level of the individual producer, who sees your payment as encouragement to continue similar work, and also at a meta level since the entire marketplace is being influenced directly by people's likes and interests.

It's not really altruism because you're acting in your own interest.

BTW, as a proponent of the tipping model, I found your dismissive summary of it pretty useless in this context. If in fact "good looking" waitresses get more tips, that doesn't have much bearing on the current discussion does it?

-Jeff
Tipster Voluntary Payments