Re: What sort of keyboard do you prefer?

Author:Nicholas Riley
Posted:9/3/2000; 1:59:27 PM
Topic:What sort of keyboard do you prefer?

I use something that comes close to this. It's an IBM keyboard from 1995 or so. Adjustable split, adjustable height at front and back courtesy of four legs with screws in them. No numeric keypad, two sets of inverted-T cursor keys that abut the bottom left and right corners of the keyboard (so you can hit cmd-arrows with either hand), and the page up/down/etc keys are at the top right. Has a split spacebar, where you can set one side of it to be a delete key. Nice click-y action. After trying a number of special weird keyboards to alleviate my hand pain, including chording keyboards, various natural/split keyboards, and the Kinesis recessed keyboard, I found this one to be the best. And it ends up using less space than a regular keyboard, so I can put my trackball on the keyboard area of my desk.

No photo (I'm not even using a graphical Web browser at the moment, I'm writing this in XEmacs launched from w3m :-) but I'll see if I can dig one up.

Only problem with it is was that the control key is tiny, but I changed control and caps lock, and all is well.

--Nicholas