Re: Amazon's variable pricing.

Author:Eric Soroos
Posted:9/6/2000; 12:58:59 PM
Topic:Amazon's variable pricing.

DVDs will be one price one minute, and totally different after you reset your cookies. The articles say it can also be browser depended. :-)

Thanks Amazon.

Demand based pricing is a fact of life. Ever fly? I'd bet that no 2 people on the plane paid the same price (unless they are on the same ticket), even though they nominally are getting the same service.

Would you take different prices for 'members' than for non-members? Safeway does that. Savings in exchange for your personal data.

What about different delivery schedules for 'out of stock' items depending on how good the customer is? PITA, it's never in stock. Good customer, 1 week. Potentially $$$ customer, it's in stock.

What about encouraging the matre d' for a reservation.

And for Very special friends of Rick, we have a very special price.

It happens, it's a known thing. Amazon got caught in a particularly arbitrary scheme.

eric