Re: scriptingNews outline for 9/6/2000

Author:Dave Winer

Seth, I am an idealist and a commercial developer who also does open source, and I want victory. I want the walls to come down.

The frustrating thing about open source is that it sought initially, or so I thought, to break down the walls that were put up by the monster commercial software companies, much as the Internet did. But I was disappointed, but not surprised, that they put up their own walls. Now I want those to come down. If possible they should come down dramatically so that it makes news.

Once they're down, any time anyone tries to put up new walls, as long as I'm breathing, I will get in their way.

I am into people working with each other. I abhor the idea of artificial and insignificant barriers to that. So when you ask "But why does that surprise you?" you're being cynical, and that's OK if that's your philosophy, but I want to be surprised.

Like I said today on Scripting News, "We need more major league assholes in the press. Too much footsy being played, and too many spoiled brats who think that any criticism is too much, not just in political reporting, in all reporting."

That comes pretty close to my philosophy.